Saturday, June 27, 2009

Cat Nip Post XXVIII


I’m not sure what would have happened if the clip-clop of hooves striking the scattered gravel in my yard hadn’t interrupted us. I struggled off of his lap, and peered out the window.

“It’s Olaf Bannister,” I warned him.

He rose smoothly, handing me the blue dress he’d brought. “Put yourself together, I’ll handle the sheriff until you’re ready.”

I stepped into the shadowed corner and fumbled my way into my clothes. I heard the back door open and close, so I wasn’t surprised when I turned back to an empty room.

When I opened the door to greet my visitor, a black cat streaked around the corner of the cabin and sat by his feet, looking with interest at the sheriff.

"Sheriff Bannister,"I greeted him. "It's very early in the morning for a visit. Is there a problem?"

The sheriff stood uncertainly, and then asked, "May I come in?" At my nod, he pushed past me into my one room, looking around suspiciously. "Paddy says he found you sitting in the middle of the trail the other night. Said it looked like maybe you'd been doctoring something."

I sat on the chair that had recently been occupied by Thomas, and waited for the sheriff to make his point. The black cat promptly took up residence on my lap and sat rumbling interest as he watched the sheriff.

I recognized the purr and realized that Thomas Hunter still guarded me. I was happy to have him there, since Sheriff Bannister seemed very upset.

He looked at the cat on my lap and sneered, "Finally got yourself a familiar I see."

Holding Thomas in my arms I stood and took a step toward the looming sheriff. "If you have a question, sheriff, please ask it."

Olaf Bannister seemed nonplussed as I walked toward him. I felt the cat's muscles ripple and his claws unsheathe. A glance at my new friend showed that he stared at the lawman from unblinking, amber, eyes.

It appeared Thomas Hunter was coiled and ready.

2 comments:

  1. Olaf Bannister is a piece of work...he best watch out for Thomas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thomas Hunter is ready for him! Claws and fangs ready!

    ReplyDelete

Blog Archive